Monday, August 10, 2009

Funked Out Peasant Blouse

This was my first go at Lila Tueller's Funked Out Peasant Blouse. I don't think I'm quite up to using the multi-colours that everyone else has used yet (although I think their blouses look superb), and I've always wanted an embroidered but plain peasant blouse. So I just used one colour, which probably un-funks it.
I didn't do a side zip, as I found that I could slip it over my head, just. The pic on the right how I originally made it (a year ago now), with an inch added to the length, which I think was a mistake. Also, I added a couple of inches to the upper bodice for bit more gathering. The big pic on the left is a slightly altered version, which I think suits me better (less blessed up top than I´d like to be - I lowered the centre bodice neckline by an inch, and made the lower bodice length the length originally in the pattern.

Having messed up a few McCalls M5050 peasant blouses in the past, I trimmed, serged and sewed the sleeve seam flat on this one. This made threading the elastic around the neckline heaps easier.

Apron from Simple Sewing book

I wanted to make something for a friend of mine who just miscarried, and I thought an apron might let her know we were thinking of her. The pattern is from Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing book. I didn't have alot of material, so I didn't include the side panels, I just did the centre panel. I'm not sure it even needs the side panels.