Friday, November 13, 2009
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Friday, November 6, 2009
Monday, September 28, 2009
Monday, August 10, 2009
Having messed up a few McCalls M5050 peasant blouses in the past, I trimmed, serged and sewed the sleeve seam flat on this one. This made threading the elastic around the neckline heaps easier.
Monday, July 6, 2009
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Monday, June 15, 2009
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Sunday, June 7, 2009
This pattern seems to run true to size. Unfortunately, I made it one size too small as every other pattern I've made lately seemed to turn out so enormously bigger than the size would warrant. So next time I'll make it a size bigger.
The neck line is really, really high. On a very small size, this probably wouldn't matter, but on a size 12 it ends up making the bodice seem too covered in material. A bit like a nun's habit? I would cut an inch off the neckline, not just at the front, but all the way around. I also used quite stiff interfacing on the collar, which made it sit stiff like a uniform, so next time I would either use no interfacing or a really, light one. I also found that on this view, the sleeves (which are just basted or pinned on at the moment) somehow made it look stiff and formal, rather than like a casual top, although they might have seemed better if the neckline wasn't so high.
Finally, I added 1-2 inches onto the lower bodice, which I do for pretty much all patterns I make. I would definitely do that again, as it would have looked very, very short without it.
I'll try View C, or D next. Hopefully they will turn out better.
Thursday, May 28, 2009
I split the front in two down the middle, so there is a seam going down to the hemline. I cut the placket to suit the zip length, rather than using the placket pattern in the book. I used this tutorial for putting in the invisible zip.
Sizewise, its a small (I'm a NZ 12-14, and would normally be a medium), and although I took it in on the sides (and lowered the neckline, of course) like everyone else when cutting the pattern, I can actually put it on even though I'm eight months pregnant. So, lots of taking in and darts to do after the baby is born.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Monday, May 18, 2009
Friday, May 15, 2009
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Monday, May 11, 2009
Friday, May 8, 2009
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
I thought I'd have a go at some of the non-clothing items in Heather Ross' Weekend Sewing book, or maybe just start from the front of the book. So next up, was the Market-run Checkbook cover. I'm not even sure what a checkbook is - would we call it a cheque book in NZ? Anyway, I made one for my cheque book, but I made it smaller than the pattern to fit my own one.
I also find that all my bus timetables just float around my handbag, so I made another square one to fit those. They were really quick to make, although I did make it a tiny bit wonky in parts. Who cares. It was nice to by some different tiny scraps of fabric to work with.
Monday, May 4, 2009
Sunday, May 3, 2009
So notes for me next time, for making a non-maternity shirt once the baby is born...
* move the waist gathering down by 1-2 cm.
* take a cm off the front side (only-not the bottom side) of the arm seam when cutting the pattern (where it meets the bodice)
* reduce the width of the back by 2-3 inches.
* sleeve length was good.
* reduce the amount of elastic recommended for the neckline by about 2-3 inches.
[written a while after] I really like peasant blouses (done in appropriately hippy material), but I'm wondering whether Kwik Sew 3062 might be a better peasant blouse.
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Sunday, April 26, 2009
Saturday, April 25, 2009
Friday, April 24, 2009
Here is my first thing from the Amy Butler In stitches book. I made the medium size, again from the op-shop doona cover. I hope I use it up soon, otherwise everything I own will be green ;o) I think I have to stop making clothes now, because its hard to see how things fit and drape with a huge 6 1/2 months pregnant tummy in front! I look 9 months pregnant already. The pattern fitted OK, but I think it would sit better with slightly thicker fabric - the doona cover fabric was a bit thin. [Here is the final version]