Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Square for the Quilt for Christchurch

This is my square for the Quilt for Christchurch. The Breeze radio station is asking for squares, with a message for Christchurch on it, and then a quilting group is going to join them all together into one enormous quilt and it will be hung in Christchurch Council (I think). Red and black are the colours of the local rugby team. Everyone from our Monday night sewing group is doing one, and we´ll send them in together. The instructions of what squares they wanted were a bit vague, so I hope that what I´ve done is somewhere in the parameters. The message is a Māori proverb, which means:
Nā tō rourou, nā taku rourou, ka ora ai te iwi

With your food basket and my food basket,the people will thrive.
The white things underneath are stylised fern fronds. Ferns are native to New Zealand and are everywhere here.

No comments: