Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Sketching people in pen and ink

I haven't sketched for a few days, and I still have this irrational belief that my ability to sketch will just vanish. When I start again after even a short break it takes a while for me to think, yes I can still do it! I find that when I try and do quick sketches I often revert to my old method of drawing the eyes first. With these I consciously followed the practice of doing the outline of the face and hair, then the ears first, just following the lines as if they were simply shapes (like I learned in the Drawing with the Right Side of the Brain book). It really makes a huge difference, and I got some great likenesses.


Above: Schaeffer fountain pen, medium nib, Noodlers Bulletproof Black ink. 5 mins for the face, 4 mins for the rest. A year ago, this would have taken me well over an hour, with lots of erasing (if done in pencil). 

Below: same, but time taken was 5 mins.

 

Above: Same details. Time taken: 9 mins


4B pencil.


 A gratuitous photo of Petone Wharf, Wellington Harbour, New Zealand.

No comments: