Thursday, April 16, 2009

Heather Ross Headscarf

I've been really excited to try something from Heather Ross' Weekend Sewing book, and the headscarf seemed an easy, quick thing to start with. I love batik fabrics at the moment (I think I'll make the summer blouse out of a batik fabric soon), and had a fat quarter lying around. The headscarf took me 20 minutes to make. I think the current size is great for long hair, but I have short hair which I'm growing out. I think a scarf will be a great way of getting through those difficult in-between haircuts. Next time I think I'll try having the tube and elastic a tiny bit narrower (its not being hidden much by my short hair), and making the short edge of the big rectangle longer (so that the scarf covers more hair). [1 week later: my son now wears this headscarf as a pirate hat]

With the rest of the fat quarter, I fixed up a pair of second-hand (vintage) jeans that I had messed up by hemming too short. I turned them into maternity pants, and sewed a longer hem on the legs with the batik fabrik. I really like these jeans now, except of course they have paint splotches on them from when I was painting with the kids at Playcentre. But that's OK - I'm proud to be a messy mum and wear my paint splotches with pride!! :o)

No comments: