Sunday, May 3, 2009

McCall 5050 peasant blouse

I've been looking at this M5050 pattern, and decided to make it, even though I'm 7 months pregnant, so I could wear it once the baby was born. I made a medium (I'm normally a NZ size 12/14), and I'm a bit surprised that it not only fits me with room to move, but also covers my tummy. I had intended to make a non-maternity shirt, and thought that I would only be able to put it over the top bodice at this stage. It also gaped quite a lot at the back neck, which I took in by about 2-3 inches. I added contrasting fabric on the cuffs. It was quick and easy to sew though - only took about an hour and a half.

So notes for me next time, for making a non-maternity shirt once the baby is born...
* make a Small size
* move the waist gathering down by 1-2 cm.
* take a cm off the front side (only-not the bottom side) of the arm seam when cutting the pattern (where it meets the bodice)
* reduce the width of the back by 2-3 inches.
* sleeve length was good.
* reduce the amount of elastic recommended for the neckline by about 2-3 inches.

[written a while after] I really like peasant blouses (done in appropriately hippy material), but I'm wondering whether Kwik Sew 3062 might be a better peasant blouse.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Wow! Totally fabulous!!!

sassyskorpio said...

This turned out beautiful! You could almost have your own clothing line for maternity apparel, which is in high demand!

carina said...

Hi,

You have a nice blog. A 40-week pregnancy is really just a blip in our whole life time, but the problem with clothing during that time is very painful. Keeping this in mind, two best friends and mother of two children each started http://www.bellybundles.com. We have high quality maternity clothes there and we would like to hear your feedback on our products.

Thanks,
Carina - Maternity clothing at bellybundles